Fire Safety at Home, Practice a Fire Drill
Did you know that a working smoke alarm can reduce fire related deaths by 50%? Fires spread quickly; it only takes 3 minutes for a fire to become deadly. In the event of a fire, get out of your house as quickly as you can.
Here are a few tips to keep your family safe:
- Have a dual sensor smoke alarm on every level of the home and near every sleeping area.
- Check your smoke alarms at least once a month.
- Change the smoke alarm batteries at least once a year.
- Replace smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old.
- In the event of an actual fire, never go back into a burning building.
- Make sure you are able to identify two exits in each room.
- Designate a meeting place outside of the home.
- Practice your fire escape plan at least twice a year as a family.