Where would we be without our volunteers, both in the Hospital and throughout the community? Our volunteers help us to provide the best hope, healing, and care to children and families here at Phoenix Children's.
Become a Hospital Volunteer
If you're interested in making a weekly commitment and are available for 2-4 hours a week, becoming a Hospital Volunteer may be for you! Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age to volunteer in the hospital. Here is a brief outline of our process:
- Attend a Volunteer Information Session. This is your first required step and where you'll get your application.
- Commit to 100 hours of service annually, 2-4 hours weekly, same day and time
- Complete background check
- Complete Health Screening including:
- 2 step tuberculin test (to be renewed yearly)
- Review of immunization records to show proof of MMR x2, Varicella x2, or physician documentation of disease. Proof must be obtained prior to start if not shown in records.
- Provide proof of flu vaccine (to be renewed yearly)
- Complete 3 hour Online Hospital Orientation
- Complete 2.5 hour Hospital Orientation Tour (Weekdays)
- Complete additional trainings as applicable, identified during your interview (Weekdays)
- CPR Certification preferred.
Find a 1-hour Volunteer Information Session on our Calendar of Events page! We offer an in person and online webinar monthly.
*Adult volunteers (age 18+), get a sneak preview of Hospital volunteer service areas (PDF) we offer. Animal Assisted Therapy Volunteers are part of this group.
*Teen volunteers (ages 16-17) interested in volunteering year round, get a sneak preview of the hospital volunteer service areas for teens (PDF) we offer.
*Family volunteers (parent or guardian + 1 child age 12-17), follow the regular hospital process noted above. Please list Family Volunteering on your application. Placements determined at time of interview.
2014 Summer Volunteer Program
The Volunteer Services Department will be offering a Summer Volunteer opportunity for students, ages 13 – College Senior. The goal of this program is to introduce students to volunteerism, introduce a healthcare setting and provide service to the patients and families at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
At this time, the DEADLINE HAS PASSED to be eligible for the 2014 Summer Program.
Please check back in January 2015 for Summer 2015 Program details.
Not interested in a long-term commitment?
Become a Community Volunteer!!
We have equally important opportunities to support the hospital that do not have such consistent scheduling requirements, such as helping in the community. You do not need to attend a Volunteer Information Session prior to participating as a community volunteer or complete the process outlined above.
Please note- the majority of these events take place around the Phoenix area, most are not at the Phoenix Children's Hospital Campus.
- Special events, fundraisers, community outreach events
- Service learning opportunities, Eagle Scout Projects
- Drives for in kind donation items needed
- Limited group volunteer opportunities
- Take home volunteer projects
- Episodic clerical help
If you are interested in community opportunities, please provide your contact information here.
We are truly thankful to have such a large talented group of people who are so committed to the Hospital's mission and the community we serve.
For more information, please e-mail us.