What Do You Know About Acne?
Acne is the most common skin disease in the U.S. Test your knowledge of acne by taking this quiz.
1. What part of the skin does acne affect?
A. EpidermisB. EndodermisC. Hair folliclesD. Hair shaft
2. Where does acne most often show up?
A. FaceB. BackC. ShouldersD. All of the above
3. Which of these causes acne?
A. Not keeping skin cleanB. Not eating a healthy dietC. Not getting exerciseD. None of the above
4. Which of these things makes it more likely that blackheads will form?
A. BacteriaB. ChocolateC. Clogged folliclesD. Dirty skin
5. Which of these hormones triggers acne in adolescents?
A. AndrogenB. EstrogenC. EndorphinD. Norepinephrine
6. Acne can be treated with which of these?
A. Skin cleansersB. Oral antibioticsC. Oral vitamin A medicinesD. All of the above
7. Some cosmetics and skin products can make acne worse. What kind of cosmetic is least likely to do so?
A. Oil-free (noncomedogenic)B. Lip products with moisturizersC. Gel hair productsD. None of the above
8. How does being in the sun affect acne?
A. Clears up pimplesB. Boosts the amount of oil your skin makesC. Makes scars less visibleD. All of the above
Print Source: Created for Vitality magazine
Online Source: Acne vulgaris, Merck Manual Professional Editionhttp://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic-disorders/acne-and-related-disorders/acne-vulgaris
Online Source: Acne, American Academy of Dermatologyhttps://www.aad.org/public/diseases/acne-and-rosacea/acne
Online Source: Acne, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseaseshttps://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Acne/default.asp
Author: Floria, Barbara
Online Editor: Sinovic, Dianna
Online Medical Reviewer: Berman, Kevin, MD, PhD
Online Medical Reviewer: Sather, Rita, RN
Date Last Reviewed: 3/1/2017
©2017 Phoenix Children's Hospital. All Rights Reserved