What Do You Know About COPD?
Smoking is the main cause of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), a serious, debilitating and often fatal illness. Take this quiz to find out more about COPD and how to prevent it.
1. Which of the following diseases is included in the umbrella term chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?
A. EmphysemaB. Chronic bronchitisC. Lung cancerD. A and B
2. What age group is most likely to have symptoms of COPD?
A. 15 to 24B. 25 to 34C. 35 to 39D. 40 and older
3. Long-term exposure to which of the following can increase the risk for COPD?
A. Airborne chemicalsB. PollutantsC. Lung irritantsD. All of the above
4. Which of the following can help improve the health of people with COPD?
A. Not smokingB. Exercising regularlyC. Drinking alcoholD. A and B
5. Respiratory infections can block the airways in someone with COPD. Which of the following steps helps prevent these dangerous infections?
A. Annual flu shotB. Pneumonia shotC. Avoiding draftsD. A and B
6. How is COPD treated?
A. BronchodilatorsB. Inhaled corticosteroidsC. Supplemental oxygenD. All of the above
7. Which of the following eating habits can help people with COPD stay healthy?
A. Don’t eat large mealsB. Try to eat frequent small mealsC. Skip breakfastD. A and B
8. Which of the following strategies can help someone with COPD stay functional?
A. Pace activitiesB. Get extra restC. Avoid aerosol deodorant and hairsprayD. All of the above
9. Which of the following should you do if using supplemental oxygen?
A. Ask the supplier how much oxygen you should getB. Inhale through your noseC. Change the nasal cannulas oftenD. B and C
Online Source: CDChttp://www.cdc.gov/copd/
Online Source: American Lung Associationhttp://www.lungusa.org/lung-disease/copd/living-with-copd/life-change.html
Online Source: American Lung Associationhttp://www.lungusa.org/lung-disease/copd/living-with-copd/making-treatment-decisions/
Online Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutehttp://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/
Online Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutehttp://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/atrisk.html
Author: Floria, Barbara
Online Editor: Sinovic, Dianna
Online Medical Reviewer: Pierce-Smith, Daphne, RN, MSN-FNP, CCRC
Date Last Reviewed: 11/23/2011
©2016 Phoenix Children's Hospital. All Rights Reserved