How Much Do You Know About Tonsils and Adenoids?
Test your knowledge of tonsils and adenoids by taking this quiz, based on information from the American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS).
1. Tonsils are on the back of the throat. Where are the adenoids located?
A. Under the tongueB. In the earsC. Behind the nose and roof of the mouthD. None of the above
2. What do your tonsils and adenoids do?
A. They don't do anythingB. They help your nose with the sense of smellC. They are part of your immune systemD. None of the above
3. Which of these is a common problem with tonsils?
A. They make an infection worseB. They become swollenC. They can become infected themselvesD. B and C
4. Most cases of tonsillitis occur in which age group?
A. 10 and underB. 11 to 21C. 21 to 40D. 40 to 65E. 65 and older
5. Which of these may be a symptom of tonsillitis?
A. Sore throatB. Bad breathC. FeverD. Swollen lymph nodes in the neckE. All of the above
6. Along with a sore throat and fever, which of these can be a symptom of an adenoid infection?
A. Snoring during sleepB. Ear infections that keep coming backC. Breathing mostly through the mouth, rather than through the noseD. Noisy breathing while awakeE. All of the above
7. How are infections of the tonsils or adenoids usually treated?
A. AspirinB. AcetaminophenC. AntibioticsD. None of the above
8. When do tonsils or adenoids need to be removed?
A. When a child is 5 years oldB. When a child is 10 years oldC. When a child is having learning problemsD. None of the above
Print Source: Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy in Children: Indications and Contraindications. UptoDate.
Online Source: American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgeryhttp://www.entnet.org/healthinformation/tonsillitis.cfm
Online Source: American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgeryhttp://www.entnet.org/healthinformation/tonsilsadenoids.cfm
Author: Sinovic, Dianna
Online Editor: Sinovic, Dianna
Online Medical Reviewer: Kacker, Ashutosh, MD
Online Medical Reviewer: Kolbus, Karin, RN, DNP, COHN-S
Date Last Reviewed: 11/1/2016
©2017 Phoenix Children's Hospital. All Rights Reserved