Cardiometabolic Risk Assessment, Research and Education (CARE) Program
The CARE Program at Phoenix Children's Hospital is part of the Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes. The Care Program provides health education and promotes the prevention of premature cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
The CARE Program strives to improve the lives of children in a number of ways, including:
- Offering comprehensive pediatric medical care in our CARE Clinic and Type 2 Diabetes Clinic
- Exploring causes, effects and innovative treatments through research
- Educating patients, their families, students, healthcare providers and the community about common diagnosis and treatments, healthy lifestyles and preventive care
CARE & Type 2 Diabetes Clinics
The CARE Clinic provides treatment to children and adolescents who are at high risk of developing premature cardiovascular disease and/or type 2 diabetes.
The Pediatric Type 2 Diabetes Clinic provides treatment to adolescents who have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
We use a team approach to provide the best comprehensive and family-centered care. The team includes
- Pediatric Endocrinologists
- Pediatric Nutritionists
- Certified Diabetes Educators
- Pediatric Behavioral Health Specialist
- Your child’s primary healthcare provider
- Other pediatric specialists as needed
- Insulin Resistance
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Dyslipidemia (Abnormal Lipids)
- High Blood Pressure
Most treatment plans include one or more of the following:
- Lifestyle changes - diet and exercise
- Over-the-counter therapies
- Prescription medications
- Referral to additional specialists/clinical partners
- Follow-up appointments with specialists and dietitians, as needed
FOR EXISTING PHOENIX CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL ENDOCRINOLOGY AND DIABETES PATIENTS
If you need a prescription refill, please contact your pharmacy and have them fax or electronically communicate with us. This is the best way to ensure prescription refill accuracy. If this is unsuccessful, please email us as noted above; call if immediate assistance is needed.
If you have a clinical question, please see the documents you received at your last clinic visit with us for contact and other information, or try the phone or email address above. Of note, we cannot answer any clinical questions for patients who are not a part of our practice already.