Pediatric Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Pathology is the study of disease. As a clinical specialty, Pathology uses samples of tissues, cells, and fluids to make appropriate diagnoses and assist clinicians with patient care.
Phoenix Children's Hospital's Pathology Department is the only full-service clinical laboratory in the state dedicated to pediatric cases.
The Laboratory, continually adding services specific to children, is dedicated to providing responsive, comprehensive patient diagnostic testing and consultations.
In training the pathologists of tomorrow, the Pathology Department offers a unique elective in Pediatric Pathology for medical students of the University of Arizona College of Medicine and residents in pediatrics and pathology. Both Dr. Dickman and David Carpentieri, MD, hold faculty appointments at the University of Arizona College of Medicine.
The Pathology Department is also involved in research and outreach activities to help further the study of disease. Dr. Dickman is a pathology reviewer for Ewing's sarcoma clinical trials conducted by the Children's Oncology Group; treasurer of the International Paediatric Pathology Association; and on the Education Committee of the Arizona Society of Pathologists.
- Only full-service clinical laboratory in the state dedicated to pediatric cases
- Director certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology, Clinical Pathology, and Pediatric Pathology
- Elective in Pediatric Pathology for medical students and residents
- Faculty appointments at the University of Arizona College of Medicine
- Involvement in Children's Oncology Group clinical trials