1 Darn Cool School
School is an essential part of your child’s normal routine. It is important to keep up this routine when your child is in the hospital. The 1 Darn Cool School here at Phoenix Children's Hospital is here to help.
Continuing your child’s schooling while in the hospital will help lower anxiety levels. He will feel better, both physically and mentally. We all know that a healthy mind leads to a healthy body. While in the hospital school, your child will be learning in a positive and encouraging atmosphere.
The school program is available to all children who are currently enrolled in Kindergarten – 12th grades or Special Education 5-21 years. If your child is expected to miss over 10 days of school and your inpatient stay is over 3 days, please connect with the school team to assist with your child’s educational needs.
In addition to holding a current Arizona Teaching certificate, all teachers have earned a Master’s degree in Education. Additionally, all classroom volunteers have professional teaching background
The One Darn Cool School here at Phoenix Children's Hospitals remains one of few hospitals in the country that employs its own teaching staff. The program was originally started by volunteers in the hospital in 1985. The first in-house classroom was founded in 1987 and was called the PCH Genius Club. It represented one of the first hospital schools in the nation.
Currently the school program is 100% philanthropically supported. Many thanks to our supporter, Desert Schools Credit union, for their continued support.
VISION: To promote educational success throughout the healing process.
MISSION: To provide educational and academic services for children and families at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
Monday- Friday 1-3 p.m.
Available to assist at bedside upon request
- Provides year-round individualized instruction for all students, grades K-12 in the classroom and at bedside.
- Provide formal and informal assessment of patient's educational needs serving as a liaison between the hospital and child’s identified home school program
- Actively participate in 504/I.E.P meetings and other school re-entry plans
- Offer parent advocacy resources and support
- Provide information and alternative programs or academic placement as needed
- Procter exams for non-standardized testing
- Implement school incentive program to encourage patients to keep up with academic work during extended hospitalizations earning funny money to purchase items at the classroom school store
- Introduce patients to the various arts with elective programming on Fridays – also known as Fine Arts Fridays.
For more information, please call the classroom at (602) 933-1706 or email the teachers at OneDarnCoolSchool@Phoenixchildrens.com