Nutrition Services for Cancer Patients
Our Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (CCBD) has a full-time registered dietitian (RD) on staff, able to provide customized nutrition services for patients of all ages. Our registered dietitian will work with patients and families one-on-one to develop nutrition plans that meet individual, medical, and cultural needs.
Your registered dietitian will be an integral part of your healthcare team, regularly assessing and monitoring your child’s health and nutritional wellness. Nutrition services are available to all hematology, oncology, and stem cell transplant patients in both our outpatient clinic and during inpatient hospital admissions.
The goal is to help guide the entire family toward healthy eating habits and good nutrition. Healthy growth and development is a top priority, even during medical treatment. Our registered dietitian not only provides support during treatment, but also helps families establish healthy habits beyond treatment.
Some things you can expect from your RD visit (not an all-inclusive list):
- Assessment of nutritional and growth status
- Diet history
- Patient preferences
- Food safety diet education
- Ideas to optimize nutrition and weight status
- Introduction to nutritional supplements
- Discussion of proper use of complementary and alternative medicines
- Management of enteral nutrition (tube feeding) and/or parenteral (IV) nutrition
- Education on healthy eating and appropriate exercise
- Education on special diets (dependent on diagnosis/treatment)
- Support with reintroduction of normal eating patterns after cancer treatment
Questions or concerns? Request a nutrition consult at your next visit!
Kelsey Bullard, MS, RD
1919 E. Thomas Road
Phoenix, AZ 85016