The physicians within our Sports Medicine Program specialize in the treatment of musculoskeletal conditions and understand the need for surgical intervention. The orthopedic and sports medicine surgeons also understand and are trained in the operative treatment of these conditions. However, approximately 90% of all sports injuries do not require surgery.
Our sports medicine physicians also understand the need some patients have for physical therapy. The team has the ability to make appropriate referrals to physical and occupational therapists.
What sets sports medicine physicians apart is their extra training in the area of non-musculoskeletal aspects of sports medicine. This means our team can treat a variety of conditions and make recommendations on sports-related activities, including:
- Concussions and other head injuries
- Athletes with chronic or acute illness (like asthma or diabetes)
- Injury prevention
- Return-to-play decisions for the sick or injured athlete
- Nutrition, supplements, ergogenic acids and performance issues
- Health lifestyle promotion and recommendations on safe strength training and conditioning