Programs & Services
Interventional Cardiology Program
The pediatric interventional cardiology team at Phoenix Children’s offers many programs, services and technologies to assist children and their families. We partner with other departments to provide additional services, resources and subspecialty care.
Our team is dedicated to delivering the latest advances to your child, with state-of-the-art equipment. At the Center for Heart Care, our interventional cardiologists operate in fully equipped cardiac catheterization labs and hybrid surgical suites.
Diagnostic Cardiac Tests and Evaluation
We provide a full range of testing and diagnostic procedures to evaluate heart conditions in children, from newborns to young adults. Our pediatric interventional cardiology and related services include:
- Advanced imaging and diagnostic testing
- Cardiac catheterization
- Electrophysiology (EP) studies to evaluate heart rhythm disorders
Pediatric Cardiac Interventional Procedures
At Phoenix Children’s, our heart teams have high-level training and expertise in performing intricate operations for pediatric heart conditions. Your doctor will discuss your child’s procedure, including the benefits and risks.
Our pediatric interventional cardiology specialists perform these and many other minimally invasive heart procedures:
- Balloon aortic or pulmonary valvuloplasty – Treats certain heart valve disorders by inserting a balloon catheter that inflates across the valve to widen a narrowed valve
- Balloon atrial septostomy – Allows mixing of blood for certain heart defects by creating an opening between the atria (the two upper chambers of the heart)
- Device closure implants – Using a medical device to close small holes, incompletely formed blood vessels or other abnormalities that cause pulmonary blood flow disorders:
- Atrial septal defect (ASD)
- Ventricular septal defect (VSD)
- Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
- Heart muscle biopsy – Taking a small tissue sample to test for heart disease
- Pericardiocentesis – To remove excess fluid around the heart
- Pulmonary artery angioplasty and/or stent implant – To repair narrowing of the pulmonary artery
- Pulmonary valve replacement – Treats valve defects by implanting a new valve
At Phoenix Children’s, we coordinate capabilities and resources across specialties to treat complex conditions with exceptional efficiency. Hybrid procedures combine traditional surgery with minimally invasive cardiac catheterization to treat complex pediatric heart conditions.
During hybrid procedures, heart surgeons, interventional cardiologists and other specialists work together in a dedicated, specially equipped hybrid suite to treat conditions such as:
Research that Advances Care
Heart specialists at Phoenix Children’s collaborate with other doctors and scientists to improve heart care. Pioneering projects translates to exceptional clinical care for children such as the below: