Programs & Services
Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
At Phoenix Children's Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) we provide patients and families the support they need to heal and thrive.
Our NICU features several unique services for patients under our care. Our focus is on developmental supportive care, allowing us to minimize the impact of the environment and supporting patients through individualized care plans.
- Extracorpeal life support (ECMO): We use ECMO, similar to heart/lung bypass, technology used to support an infant's heart and lungs while they heal.
- Nitric oxide: A delivery system that delivers a blend of oxygen with nitric oxide to increase blood flow to lungs.
- High frequency ventilation: This technology delivers oxygen to an infant's lungs, minimizing trauma.
- Developmental play group: Instructional classes that support early psychological and sensory input in the development of all infants.
- Family support: Focused on families by providing support with a NICU-specific counselor.
- Virtual Visit cameras: The NICU webcam program uses a secure video feed to give families a way to visit their newborn from anywhere with an internet connection.