Programs & Services
1 Darn Cool School
These are some of the services we offer:
- Year-round academic support for patients ages 5–22 by Arizona-certified, master’s level teachers.
- An incentive program to encourage patients to remain engaged in learning during a hospitalization. As they work with teachers, patients earn “School Bucks” that they can exchange for toys, games or gift cards.
- Education support and guidance.
- Assistance with school communication when a release of information form has been signed. This form is listed as a “to-do” in the patient portal when families request support from 1 Darn Cool School.
- Support navigating 504 meetings and Individual Education Plan (IEP) needs.
- Re-entry support and guidance for when your child is ready to return to school in-person.
- Information on alternative programs, school enrollment or academic placement.
- Support navigating Homebound services if your child is unable to attend regular classes for at least three months. Your child’s physician will determine if their condition warrants education at home. If it does, our teachers are available to support the paperwork process and communication with the school district.