Conditions We Treat
Gastroenterology and GI Surgery
The pediatric gastroenterology team at Phoenix Children’s treats all conditions affecting the digestive tract.
Conditions of the Esophagus
- Aerodigestive issues, which affect swallowing, breathing and feeding
- Eosinophilic esophagitis: An allergic condition that can lead to scarring and narrowing in the esophagus (tube that connects the throat and stomach)
- Feeding and swallowing difficulties
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
Conditions of the Stomach
- Chronic abdominal pain
- Helicobacter pylori
- Gastritis: Inflammation of the stomach lining
- Peptic ulcer disease
Conditions of the Small and Large Intestines (Colon)
- Celiac disease: An autoimmune condition in which patients must strictly follow a gluten-free diet.
- Crohn’s disease
- Chronic constipation
- Chronic diarrhea
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Malabsorptive disorders: These disorders prevent the body from absorbing nutrients through the small intestine.
- Polyps: Growths in the GI tract that usually are not cancerous
- Short bowel syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis