Where would we be without our volunteers, both in the Hospital and throughout the community? Our volunteers help us to provide the best hope, healing, and care to children and families here at Phoenix Children's.
Become a Hospital Volunteer
If you're interested in making a weekly commitment and are available for 2-4 hours a week, becoming a Hospital Volunteer may be for you! Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age to volunteer in the hospital and volunteers between ages 16 and 18 will need parental permission. Here is a brief outline of our process:
- Attend a Volunteer Information Session. This is your first required step!
- Commit to 100 hours of service annually, 2-4 hours weekly, same day and time
- Apply (you'll get the link at Information Session)
- Interview (if your available time and areas of interest match our current hospital needs)
- Complete background check
- Complete Health Screening including 2 step tuberculin test and review of immunization records to show proof of MMR x2, Varicella x2, or physician documentation of disease. Proof must be obtained prior to start if not shown in records.
- Complete 3 hour Online Hospital Orientation (PC required)
- Complete 2.5 hour Hospital Orientation Tour (Weekdays)
- Complete additional trainings as applicable, identified during your interview
Still interested?? Find a 1-hour Volunteer Information Session on our Calendar of Events page! We offer an in person and online webinar monthly. Dates for 2014 will be available soon!
At that session, we’ll review the service areas we’re currently recruiting for, program commitments and hand out the link to apply.
*Adult volunteers (age 18+), get a sneak preview of Hospital volunteer service areas (PDF) we offer. Animal Assisted Therapy Volunteers are part of this group.
*Teen volunteers (ages 16-17) interested in volunteering year round, get a sneak preview of the hospital volunteer service areas for teens (PDF) we offer.
*Family volunteers (parent or guardian + 1 child age 12-17), follow the regular hospital process noted above. Please list Family Volunteering on your application. Placements determined at time of interview.
For students ages 13 - college senior, we offer a six and eight week program which allows the completion of volunteer service during June and July. Watch for details about each year’s program online each February as the selection process is completed in the spring (March - May).
Not interested in a long-term commitment?
Become a Community Volunteer!!
We have equally important opportunities to support the hospital that do not have such consistent scheduling requirements, such as helping in the community. You do not need to attend a Volunteer Information Session prior to participating as a community volunteer. You also do not need to following the above criteria prior to signing up for an event!
Please note- the majority of these events take place around the Phoenix area, most are not at the Phoenix Children's Hospital Campus.
- Special events, fundraisers, community outreach events
- Service learning opportunities, Eagle Scout Projects
- Drives for in kind donation items needed
- Limited group volunteer opportunities
- Take home volunteer projects
- Episodic clerical help
If you are interested in community opportunities, please provide your contact information here.
We are truly thankful to have such a large talented group of people who are so committed to the Hospital's mission and the community we serve.
For more information, please e-mail us or call (602) 933-0269