Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
At Phoenix Children’s, our Level IV freestanding NICU offers the highest level of care for newborns and infants facing complex health challenges. Should your baby need round the clock monitoring and care, you can be confident knowing your baby is in highly qualified hands. Phoenix Children’s has an expert team of neonatologists, pediatric specialists, sub-specialists, and dedicated NICU nurses all extensively experienced in managing the most critical newborn cases.
Family-Centered NICU Care
Parents want to be with their babies, and babies thrive on time with their parents. At Phoenix Children’s, we do whatever we can to facilitate these experiences and encourage you to spend as much time as you can with your baby.
Our nurses are specially trained to provide the high level of care that babies in our NICU require. They also help you understand day-to-day changes your baby may experience or procedures they may need.
We offer weekly multidisciplinary family-centered rounds so you can meet your entire team of caregivers focused on the health of your baby. This includes doctors, nurses, nutritionists, therapists, pharmacists and social workers.
State and National Leaders
Phoenix Children’s offers a Level IV NICU, the most advanced certification designation from the Arizona Perinatal Trust. The NICU experts at Phoenix Children’s are state and national leaders in newborn care:
- Advanced neurological care. We offer the state’s only neuro-NICU, which provides specialized care for babies who have brain or neurological conditions.
- Air transport expertise. Our neonatologist serves as the medical director for Arizona’s largest neonatal air transport program, where we oversee the transport of premature and critically ill infants across the state.
- Lifesaving critical care: At Phoenix Children’s, we provide the highest level of critical care, which includes cardiac surgery, neurosurgery, ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) and dialysis.
- National recognition. Phoenix Children’s is consistently recognized as a “Best Children’s Hospital” by U.S. News & World Report. We are one of only 24 hospitals nationwide to receive top rankings in every surveyed specialty area, which includes neonatology.
- Want a Second Opinion? — Chat, call, or complete this form to request a second opinion appointment.
- Your Child's Hospital Stay — Learn more about our campus services and what you can do to prepare for your visit.
Your team at Phoenix Children’s aims to address all the needs of your baby and your family. To accomplish this goal, we reach out to our experts in a wide variety of fields. While at Phoenix Children’s, you may see specialists from many other departments and centers like: