Programs & Services
Gender Support Program
As specialists in pediatrics, adolescent medicine and psychology, we recognize the process of gender identity development is uniquely individual. Our providers determine the best treatment plan for each individual in collaboration with youth, families, physicians, mental health therapists and other specialists who may be involved in the child’s care.
We provide many services to these children and their families, such as:
- Consultation for families with gender diverse children and adolescents.
- Consultation for the use of medications to suppress puberty.
- Consultation for masculinizing and feminizing hormonal therapy.
- Readiness evaluations for puberty suppression and cross-sex hormonal therapy by mental health providers.
- Weekly support group facilitated by one of our psychologists.
- Referrals to experienced mental health providers at Phoenix Children’s Hospital or in the community.
- Support and advocacy for patients and families through various aspects of transition, including transitioning in schools and completing legal name and gender marker changes in identifying document.
- Education, training and capacity building.
- Our providers speak at conferences, participate in community events and appear in the media to educate professionals and the community about the care and needs of this unique population of children and youth.
More resources are available
Our Emily Center Family Health Library, the largest pediatric consumer health library in the Southwest, provides patients, families and professionals with access to the nation's most reliable sources of pediatric health information. The center has compiled a comprehensive Gender Management Resource Guide on the medical and psychological care and social support for transgender children and youth, for your reference.