Resident and Fellow Wellbeing at Phoenix Children’s
Graduate Medical Education
At Phoenix Children's, we realize that the demands and stresses of being a resident or fellow is unique. The well-being of our trainees is important to us; however, we understand that each person defines “wellness” differently and there is no one-size-fits-all model. We can all probably agree, though, that well-being at work, self-care, and having a sense of community are all vital to help physicians stay healthy.
To this end, the purpose of our GME Well-being Program is to develop a comprehensive approach to trainee well-being that includes integrated workshops, innovative curriculum and programs, structured didactics, committees, resources, and industry ‘best practices’.
Our GME Wellness Administrator, Jennifer Farabaugh, is available to provide a variety of resources to ensure our residents and fellows thrive during their training.
GME Wellbeing Program Administrator
Jennifer Farabaugh, MPH
Services and Programs
- PCH Wellness Center
Open 24/7 and offers movement classes, fitness equipment, massage chairs, relaxation space, cooking classes, and pet therapy.
- The Well-being Check-Up Program
Created to eliminate barriers to self-care and normalize the concept of seeking professional guidance and care for mental well-being, the Well-being Check-Up Program offers protected time for residents and fellows the opportunity to learn how to navigate our EAP system as it will help decrease barriers to seeking help, if needed, in the future.
- Mayo Well-being Index
A 9-question, anonymous, validated assessment used to measure and track 6 dimensions of distress and well-being in residents and fellows. WBI allows users to confidentially compare themselves to peers’ and national averages, receive access to customized resources, and track their well-being over time.
- Cigna Employee Assistance & Work Life Programs
As a Phoenix Children's employee you have access to the Cigna Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at no cost to you and members of your household 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You do not need to be enrolled in our health benefits to take advantage of this program.
Take advantage of a wide range of services offered at no cost to you.
- Mental Health Counseling: Eight face-to-face counseling sessions with a counselor in your area.
- Legal consulting: 30-minute consultation with an attorney face-to-face or by phone.
- Financial Services: 30-minute telephone consultation with a qualified specialist on topics such as debt counseling or retirement planning.
- Parenting: Resources and referrals for childcare providers, before and after-school programs, camps, adoption organizations, child development, prenatal care and more.
- Senior Care: Resources and referrals for home health agencies, assisted living facilities, social and recreational programs and long-distance caregiving.
- Pet Care: Resources and referrals for pet sitting, obedience training, veterinarians and pet stores.
- Identity Theft: 60-minute consultation with a fraud resolution specialist.
- Employer provided physical wellness programs
- Vitality is an online community that serves as a place of encouragement and health education. The program offers rewards for workouts and physical activity that can be applied towards the purchase of an Apple Watch or other fitness tracking device.
- Zipongo provides nutrition recommendations and resources from physicians and dieticians.
- Active & Fit allows users to access over 10,000 participating fitness centers nationwide for one low monthly fee.
- Free Access to Headspace
Headspace delivers a gym workout for your mind offering a course of meditation, in a bite-sized ten-minute exercise, delivered through an app or online. Best of all, as an employee benefit, you get Headspace for free!