Pediatric Emergency Medicine
The Phoenix Children's Hospital's Pediatric Emergency Department is the only pediatric emergency service in a free-standing children’s hospital in Arizona. Our emergency services are exclusively for children.
Providing state of the art emergency care 24/7, every one of our full-time physicians are Pediatric Emergency Medicine trained specialists and come from leading U.S. and Canadian children's hospitals. Nursing staff have unequaled pediatric emergency experience and expertise.
And with more than 65,000 visits annually, the Emergency Department uses every bit of that expertise in caring for Arizona's children.
The 84-room Emergency Department includes:
- An emergency department exclusively for kids in the only free-standing children’s hospital in the state of Arizona
- All full-time physicians are Pediatric Emergency Medicine trained
- More than 65,000 visits annually
- 56 beds (exam as well as preprocedure rooms)
- 24 new observation rooms
- 4 trauma/resuscitation rooms
- Level One Trauma Center
- Fellowship training in Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Actively engaged and nationally recognized in clinical research
- In-room registration process to decrease waiting room time
Programs and Services
- Children are triaged by an experienced pediatric ED nurse within minutes of arrival.
- A Community Physician Referral Line available 24/7 for direct communication with ED staff.
- Experts in all areas of emergency pediatrics who can clearly communicate medical information to families and their private physicians.
- Continuous efforts to minimize waiting times from the moment of entry to discharge.
- ED staff will stabilize, treat and discharge less acutely ill or injured children who can be effectively cared for outside the hospital. This will allow the sickest children who desperately need a hospital bed to obtain one.
- An observation area where children requiring reevaluation prior to discharge may be continuously reassessed for improvement in clinical condition.
- A customized medical follow-up system based on family preferences.
- An environment specifically designed with child-friendly features to ease the fear and anxiety of children and their parents.
- In-room registration for high acuity patients.
- Conscious sedation for painful procedures.
- TV, books and age-appropriate activities in each exam room along with telephones for parents and guardians.
- Child life specialist that will work with ED patients and families.
Arizona Base Hospital Certification
Phoenix Children’s Hospital’s Emergency Department is certified by the Arizona Department of Health Services as an Advanced Life Support (ALS) Base Hospital, the only children’s hospital in the state to earn this designation. As an ALS Base Hospital, Phoenix Children’s serves as the centralized medical direction communications center that provides phone and online pediatric medical direction to certified EMTs and paramedics in the field (whether the patient’s destination is Phoenix Children’s or another hospital).
Dr. Toni Gross is the base hospital medical director and oversees our pediatric expertise on pre-hospital patient management and improved communication between the hospital and EMS providers.
By providing Phoenix Children’s pediatric emergency expertise to first responders in the field, we can improve care even before the patient arrives at the hospital. This gives the patient the very best chance for recovery.