Child Life Internship
The Child Life Department at Phoenix Children's hospital offers a rigorous 15 week internship aligned with the recommendations of the Child Life Council that is designed to prepare interns for a career as a child life specialist. The internship consists of three to four rotations with possible placement in Intensive Care Units, Hematology/Oncology, Emergency department/Trauma, Radiology, Surgery, general pediatric units and outpatient clinics.
Through hands on clinical experiences under the supervision of experienced Certified Child Life Specialists, students will build critical thinking and clinical skills. Ongoing education, reflective activities and intern projects are designed to prepare interns to sit for the Child Life certification exam. Phoenix Children's Hospital offers Child Life internships for fall and spring semesters. There is no summer internship offered at this time.
Internship Applicant Requirements:
- A Bachelors or Master’s degree in Child Life, child development, human development and family studies, psychology, or a closely related field
- Must have obtained a Bachelors Degree prior to internship start date
- Completion of a minimum of 10 classes in child development, psychology, Child Life, or related field (Please refer to CLC guidelines for more detailed coursework information)
- One class taught by a Certified Child Life Specialist (must be completed prior to internship start date)
- Completion of a 120 hour Child Life Practicum supervised by a Certified Child Life Specialist in a hospital setting or 1+ years working experience (at least 2000 hours) as a Child Life Assistant in a hospital setting
- Minimum grade point average of a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Completed and signed Common Child Life Internship Application
- Cover letter and Resume/CV
- Official CLC coursework review
- Official College/University transcripts
- Child Life Course Verification Form (can be downloaded from the CLC website
- 2 letters of recommendation (*include with application; at least one from someone who has observed your work with children)
Complete applications can be mailed to:
Child Life Department
Phoenix Children's Hospital
1919 East Thomas Road
Phoenix AZ 85016
Please direct your questions to CLinternship@phoenixchildrens.com.
Child Life Council Internship Offer and Acceptance Dates:
|Internship Session||Application deadlines||Initial offer dates||Acceptance dates||Offer dates 2015||Acceptance dates 2015|
|Fall 2015||May 5||2nd Tues. of June||Following Wednesday||Tuesday, 6/9/2015||Wednesday,
* For more detailed information about the internship deadlines, please visit the CLC website.