Education and Resources for Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes
Learning your child has type 1 diabetes can be an overwhelming time for your family as you navigate materials and adjust to a new lifestyle. The first step in taking control of a diabetes diagnosis is seeking out reliable information from a reputable source.
Phoenix Children’s offers helpful resources to help your child and entire family feel confident with a new path forward, including:
- Online diabetes support: This private Facebook group connects families and children with others diagnosed with diabetes to share experiences.
- Illustrated videos: This series of fun, engaging and informative videos takes on common topics, like explaining what diabetes is and why it’s important to find and monitor your target blood sugar range. Watch a few or all 18 videos in the series.
- Emily Center Health Library: Find books, videos and other resources as well as highly skilled nurses who can help you conduct individualized research.
You can also print out these helpful information sheets:
- Learning about carbohydrates: This sheet provides an at-a-glance look at foods that have carbohydrates and those that do not.
- Insulin math worksheet: Need help finding the insulin sensitivity factor (ISF) and carb ratio (CF) in real-life situations? Practice with our worksheet.
- Timing of insulin: Understand how fast-acting insulin works and when to time meals and snacks.
- Sick days and high blood sugars: Find tips on how to manage your child’s sick days and high blood sugars with an insulin pump.
How to Find Reliable Diabetes Resources
The internet is crowded with information, articles and studies on countless topics – including how to best manage pediatric diabetes. Instead of offering answers and guidance, sometimes this information can provide conflicting evidence or questionable advice.
We urge you to verify information through multiple sources before proceeding with your approach to diabetes care.
Here are some reputable resources we recommend:
National advocacy groups
- Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin by Gary Scheiner
- Sugar Surfing: How to Manage Type 1 Diabetes in a Modern World by Stephen W. Ponder and Kevin L. McMahon
Product manufacturers (can offer reliable information about their products)
- Novo Nordisk
- Eli Lilly
Your provider or diabetes educator can share additional resources that can help you on your journey. And, please, if you’re not sure about something you’ve read, talk to your child’s doctor or educator. We’ll help you find information you can trust.
602-933-2436 (referral fax)